PDA

View Full Version : Mixing hair color with conditioner to refresh color???

Heather_ebay06
02-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Hi,

Can someone tell me how to mix the hair color with conditioner to refresh color?

What my problem is that my hair has very brassy/gold tones in it and I've been using a semi permanent color to add ash tones to it. Well, it went on really dark and then faded off almost completely after two weeks. So Im looking for something that I can do maybe once a week that won't damage my hair or make it really dark.

thanks

Heather_ebay06
02-05-2006, 07:27 AM
Hi,

Can someone tell me how to mix the hair color with conditioner to refresh color?

What my problem is that my hair has very brassy/gold tones in it and I've been using a semi permanent color to add ash tones to it. Well, it went on really dark and then faded off almost completely after two weeks. So Im looking for something that I can do maybe once a week that won't damage my hair or make it really dark.

thanks

pamie
02-05-2006, 04:49 PM
try this:
Equal amounts of color and developer - I use 1/2 to 1 oz. of each.

Small amount of lightweight conditioner - I use maybe 2 oz.

You can use shampoo instead of conditioner but it doesn't deposit near the same amount of color as using conditioner does.

(Keep in mind my hair is 35" long though, just a little past my waist, obviously shorter hair will need a lot less...just keep the ratios the same)

If you only want a temporary color - more like the packaged color conditioners you can buy, skip the developer.

Mix only enough for one use, it won't keep. Apply to towel dried hair and leave on for 15 minutes. Rinse.

This is an awesome way of renewing your color inbetween dye jobs. You can use the exact same color you dyed your hair with - something you cannot do with store bought color shampoos/conditioners. I also use it to adjust my color - I can add more red if I want or tone down red with a brown shade.

I use the mixture with the developer maybe once a month, if that - the version without the developer, I've used a few times a week at times - this has NEVER DAMAGED MY HAIR IN ANY WAY when used with this frequency. YMMV, of course.

DarleneH
02-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Here's an earlier thread on the subject. Might be a thing or two in here that would help.

http://community.icompact.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/29...671060413#9671060413 (http://community.icompact.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/293108672/m/9671060413/r/9671060413#9671060413)

Dar

Heather_ebay06
02-17-2006, 05:41 PM
Pamie,

Thanks so much for sharing that. I did it and it worked great. Didn't go on dark at all like the first time. I still have trouble with it fading really fast though.

I was wondering if there's something I could put in my daily s/c that would deposit a little color each day? any ideas on that? I've tried nearly all of the high end color depositing shampoos and have not been happy with them in relation to what I'm paying. I am looking for the new John Freida color glaze, however and am hoping it might work.

Thanks
Heather

Anaisa
03-01-2006, 07:50 AM
Hi, Heather; Which color did you use? Mahogany? I have posted the suggestion a few months ago.

squirrel
03-09-2006, 12:17 PM
I think the colored conditioners work better for color deposit. Artec, Aveda, John Frieda and even Pantene have some colored conditioners. I really liked the Aveda.

DarleneH
03-10-2007, 10:37 AM
Did any of you save the instructions from that earlier thread I referred to above? Sadly it is no longer with us, and I logged on just specifically for that. :(

ETA: Found it:
http://www.icompact.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8038

It wouldn't show when clicking on the thread link above.

DarleneH
01-26-2008, 06:43 AM
OK, here I am in this very old thread again. :D But I'm about to do this and I couldn't remember if you apply to damp hair or dry hair, and pamie had the answer to my question so I am good to go now.

kitkat85
01-27-2008, 07:37 AM
I've always like the ARtec color conditioners....not so $$$ for the amount you use & way less messy than doing it yourself, at least in my case!

DarleneH
01-27-2008, 08:43 AM
I did this yesterday and so far I'm liking it! I used a Garnier Fructisse blond color (I think I remember seeing 'almond' and 'natural dark blond' on the box) on my very dark brunette hair. My intention was to just jazz it up a bit, and it is lighter but still very brunette. It looks like a glossier brunette now. I haven't styled it yet to see how the color flows as it's going to look most days, but I think I'm going to be pleased!