Go Back   iCompact Makeup Forum > Talk About It > Hair & Nails

Old 02-22-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
myfuel
IA Lifetime Member

Wash hair before coloring?

I hear different things, but do you really have to wash your hair before coloring it? I have oily hair, so when it's not washed it's greasy. I need to color my hair at home again. Thanks!!
About me: Light warm/neutral skintone, asian, combination/oily skin, acne-prone.
myfuel is offline   Location: Los Angeles, CA | Join Date: Nov 2003 Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
StaceyLS83
Goddess

When I get mine colored, my stylist always applies the color when my hair is dry, and it's usually pretty oily then.
~*Stacey*~

Licensed Esthetician and Massage Therapist
StaceyLS83 is offline   Location: NC | Join Date: Dec 2001 Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
Finn

You SHOULDN'T wash your hair before coloring it. I mean, if you wash it in the morning, you can color in the evening, but don't wash your hair right before you put the color on.
If I don't finish my Etherea eye shadow in 2014, I will eat my own head.
Finn is offline   Join Date: Nov 2000 Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
MisguidedRoses
Goddess

I've always heard don't wash it before you color it, but several years ago I decided kind of spur of the moment to color it. I wondered how much it really mattered, so I started searching, and found several things that said it didn't really matter after all, so I didn't worry about it. Since then I've just dyed it whenever and never paid any attention to whether I'd washed it or not, and it's always turned out fine so I'm not sure it matters.

Also, any time I have it colored in a salon, they'll wash my hair and blow it dry, and then apply the color. I guess it just depends who you ask.
light neutral/warm skintone, blue eyes, medium brown hair
MisguidedRoses is offline   Location: Kentucky | Join Date: Apr 2002 Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #5
blackbird668
Millenium Club

When I went to beauty school (twenty-odd years ago!), we were taught not to shampoo first, to always apply color to dry hair so that's how I've always done it. And I always have some amount of product in my hair. I just brush it loose first.
--Vicki
blackbird668 is offline   Location: Oklahoma | Join Date: Mar 2009 Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #6
Celestial Sky
IA Lifetime Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn View Post
You SHOULDN'T wash your hair before coloring it. I mean, if you wash it in the morning, you can color in the evening, but don't wash your hair right before you put the color on.
I agree. I asked a beauty supply store/salon manager if it mattered and he said that the natural oils from you hair and scalp protect your hair and scalp from damage/irritation from the haircolor and it's best if you wait at least 12hrs after you wash your hair to color it.
I always wait 24 hours after I wash my hair to color it.
~♪~~♪~~♪~~♪~~♪~~Claudia~~♪~~♪~~♪~~♪~~♪~

~*opinions are not facts*~

NC25/Prescriptives Champagne, dark auburn hair, brown eyes.
Celestial Sky is offline   Location: S. California | Join Date: Feb 2003 Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
cutie123
Goddess

This is what I always follow when going to get my hair dyed:

-wash hair the day/night before, not the day of
-don't have product in your hair-it can affect the color getting to your roots
becky*
cutie123 is offline   Location: CT, USA | Join Date: May 2002 Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #8
myfuel
IA Lifetime Member

Thanks ladies!! I thought the same, but I guess I get confused because I know the salons wash and dry your hair right before coloring. I usually shower in the evening, so coloring the next afternoon is good timing. Thanks!!
About me: Light warm/neutral skintone, asian, combination/oily skin, acne-prone.
myfuel is offline   Location: Los Angeles, CA | Join Date: Nov 2003 Reply With Quote